Sunday, August 9, 2009

When "privates" should be private

It's finally here. The day Walt and I dreaded (and I am sure this won't be the last of these days).

Our 6 year old twins were caught "exploring" privates. I am baffled on how to approach it because it didn't happen when Walt and I were around. It happened at Grandma's and she raised 4 boys so I think she handled it fine. We are trying to find an opportunity to talk about it without embarrassing the kids.

Looking online I am hard pressed to find anything of real value. I want a Christian perspective on the situation.

So we went to the Christian book store today and we found a couple of books. One for a boy and one for a girl. It's titled "Why boys and girls are different". So we got one for each and plan on reading these separately to the kids. Walt will read my son's and I will read my daughters. And then I think I am going to switch so that if my son has questions about girls he can ask and vice versa for my daughter.

My biggest concern is that if we don't approach the subject carefully then we could embarrass them or make them feel like what they did was wrong. Here are some tips I am going to use based on conversations with my mother in law:

1. Openly talk about what you saw them doing.
2. Allow them to ask ANY question they have. And I mean ANY.
3. Take a deep breath if the question seems shocking.
4. It's okay to tell your children the truth. You don't need to go into great detail about sex if the conversation leads that way.
5. Keep your explanations brief. They do not need details about the birds and the bees at this age.
6. Refrain from laughing at any questions they have. This will make them feel embarrassed and could damage any future discussions.
7. If the conversation starts to feel uncomfortable for you, then tell your child they have really great questions and you want to provide the best answers. Let them know the conversation isn't over and that you need to do some research on their questions.

I am excited to read these books to the kids. I always want an open relationship with them and feel like this is a good opportunity to start a healthy foundation for conversations to come.

If anyone has some advice or has been in a similar situation - let me know how you handled it. I love the knowledge that is shared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say What?@?

Name: Thomas Family
Occupation: Family Unity
Education: Parent's of twins *double the trouble*
Here for: Good times and Family memories